Monday, January 30, 2017

David Park's "Three Bathers"

My dear friend Nancy Storm’s daughter, Mary, gave me an early painting by David Park that had hung in Nancy's home. Nancy told me that she had lived near David and his family in Palo Alto, and that he had given her the painting. Her husband Fred immediately hung it in basement. When Nancy moved into the Heritage in San Francisco, she hung the painting in a prominent place.


I had it restored at the DeYoung Museum in the mid-90’s to refresh it. My friend Bill Belotti helped me frame it.


Nancy Boas got in touch with me to talk about the painting, and I realized that it was an important work. Nancy is an author, art historian, and curator, and was working on her book, David Park: A Painter's Life, published by the University of California Press. She included it in her book.




“Three Bathers.” (The work is untitled. The three men Park painted give it its name).


Though it will probably not fetch the $1,160,000 that Park's Standing Male Nude in the Shower, (1955 -1957) sold for at Sotheby's New York on May 15, 2007, I have asked Michael Hackett of Hackett-Mill to represent me in its sale.

Here is some of Park's later figurative work.



Post a Comment